The Age Defying Diet
The plan will help shave off pounds while giving you plenty of long lasting energy, so you can look and feel younger- whatever your age.
(1) Cut down on caffeine and drink more fruit and herbal teas instead.
(2) Replace white, high Glycemic Index Carbs (bread, rice, pasta) with low GI whole meal or brown versions where possible.
(3) Reduce your alcohol intake but allow yourself a small glass of red wine with dinner.
(4) Cut out sugar wherever you can. This means avoiding biscuits, cakes and sweets, and not adding sugar to drinks or cereal. You'll soon get used to the taste - it's about adjusting your palate.
(5) Don't ban treats completely but stick to a few squares of quality dark chocolate after dinner.
Your meal plan:
Porridge made with semi-skimmed milk/soy-milk and blueberries
Fruit salad with low-fat yogurt and a handful of chopped nuts
Poached egg on granary toast
Banana smoothie with semi-skimmed milk/soy-milk, plus two oatcakes and peanut butter
Grilled mushrooms and a large tomato on granary toast
Chunky vegetable soup with granary roll
Baked potato with cottage cheese and spring onions - no butter
Boiled egg and olive oil dressing
or non-vegetarian options:
Sardines/Salmon on granary toast
Oven Roasted vegetables and Lemon Couscous
Fresh Spinach Salad with Boiled Sweet Potatoes
Or non-vegetarian options…
Salmon with soy sauce and stir-fried vegetables
Lean mince chili with meat served with wholegrain rice
Grilled lamb cutlets with baked sweet potato and steamed vegetables
Lean grilled steak with mixed bean salad and steamed asparagus
Five wonder foods for regaining youth:
Why? These are packed with powerful antioxidants called anthocyanins that can help fight the free radical damage that breaks down collagen in the skin, causing wrinkles and lines to form.
Why? It's high in chromium, a mineral that helps the pancreas stabilize insulin release, so you won't get the fluctuating blood sugar levels that can lead to sugar cravings. This helps ward off middle-aged spread.
Why? It contains the highest amount of antioxidants of any food. These powerful agents, such as polyphenol, can help fight the ageing process.
Why? This is a great source of the protein leptin, which acts like a hormone in the body and controls your appetite so you don't over-eat. Plus, according to creator of the "fish facelift" diet, Dr Nicholas Perricone, oily fish such as salmon contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which leave skin smoother and less wrinkled.
Why? They're high in essential fatty acids, calcium and magnesium, which help banish water retention. They're also packed with vitamin E, which can help balance, an older woman's fluctuating hormones.
*Article taken from The Mirror UK - Unknown writer