I've been a fan of Dr. McDougall and his program for life for a long time now. The one thing that always attracted me to it was that they (he and his wife Mary) have always shared their knowledge for free to the public through their online program. They don't intend to tease you with tidbits of information and then make you purchase something...They show it all!
Yes, ofcourse they recommend and suggest attending in person to their 5 or 10 day program @ their Health Center in Santa Rosa, CA - but they also welcome interested people who are in need of changing their lives and have no money to do it.
Dr. McDougall writes, "Mary and I have held nothing back—the pages that follow contain all of the information you need to understand our program and successfully change your diet and lifestyle—in order to quickly regain your lost health and appearance. This section of our website puts recovery from serious chronic diseases, and a lifetime of excellent health, within everyone's reach. Changing your diet, starting an exercise program, and giving up bad habits require effort. We encourage you to take advantage of additional educational opportunities, such as our national best selling books, DVDs, weekend seminars, and our 10-day residential program for more help."
So there you have it! :-)
Also, here's a glimpse at some of the highlights of the program:
In short, the McDougall Program consists of the following:
- A diet of plant foods, including whole grains and whole grain products (such as pasta, tortillas, and whole-grain bread), a wide assortment of vegetables, and fruit
- Plenty of spices and usually small amounts of sugar and salt to enhance the flavor of food
- Exercise as simple as a daily walk
- The exclusion of animal foods, including red meat, poultry, dairy products, eggs, and fish – all of which provide toxic levels of fat, cholesterol, protein and, very often, infectious agents and harmful chemicals
- The exclusion of ALL oils, including olive oil, safflower oil and corn oil. Oils, which are nothing more than liquid fat, increase body fat stores (obesity), depress immune function, and contribute to most common chronic diseases